When in 1488 King James 4th of Scotland stopped at Blackford to purchase beer from the local brewery he probably didn’t know that this incident would still be mentioned hundreds of years later. But his stop resulted in a very honorable distinction: In 1503 the brewery that had been built long ago in the 12th century was awarded the first Royal Charter by James IV for its marvelous beer production.
These original brewery buildings were converted into the Tullibardine Distillery by William Delme Evans in 1947. In 1949 the first spirit was produced. It was sold to Brodie Hepburn in 1953, and passed to Invergordon in 1971, then to Whyte & Mackay when they bought Invergordon in 1993.