Strathmill is one of three distilleries within the Moray town of Keith at the heart of “Malt Whisky Country”. Originally built as a corn mill in 1823, it was converted into a distillery then known as Glenisla-Glenlivet in 1891 during the Victorian whisky boom.
Some of the buildings therefore date to before its whisky production days. It was during this era of high demand that some thirty other distilleries were constructed in the area. In 1962 Gilbey’s merged with United Wine Traders to form International Distillers & Vintners, six years later Strathmill was expanded to four stills, and purifiers were added to increase reflux and lighten the spirit.