The Glenburgie was built in 1829 by William Paul, the son of a distinguished surgeon, who had formerly been involved in Grange Distillery, close by and founded 1810. In 1871 Paul sub-let to Charles Hay, who changed the name to Glenburgie and sold to Alexander Fraser & Company, in about 1882. The new owner went bankrupt in 1925 and the receiver, a well know character named Donald Mustard, took over but did not resume production and sold to the blending firm James & George Stodart Ltd of Dumbarton. Stodart was bought out by Hiram Walker in 1936, at the same time the Canadian firm bought Miltonduff. Ever since then Glenburgie has been closely associated with the Ballantine’s blend.
Like Miltonduff, it was home to a pair of ‘Lomond’ stills from 1958 to 1981, which produced a malt known as Glencraig.
In 2004, the old distillery was demolished and a new, larger, open plan one was constructed. A third pair of stills was added at this point. It has been part of Chivas Brothers since 2005.