Glen Scotia has had a patchy existence, but, unlike 30 other distilleries that once operated in Campbeltown, it has survived. The distillery was established in 1832, named simply Scotia, by Stewart, Galbraith & Company, which became a limited company in 1895 and sold to West Highland malt Distilleries in 1919. Duncan MacCallum, a well-known local distiller, bought Scotia in 1924, just before the Great Depression. It was closed from 1928 to 1930, then sold to Bloch Brothers after MacCallum’s suicide in 1930; Sir Maurice Bloch sold it and Scapa Distillery to Hiram Walker in 1954. In 1970, A. Gilies & Co became part of Amalgated Distillers Products, who completely reconstructed the distillery between 1970 and 1982.
The harsh economic climate of Britain in the 1980s forced the distillery to shut its doors again in 1984. It remained closed until 1989, when Gibson International acquired ADP. In 1994, the distillery ceased production yet again during the acquisition period in which it swapped hands from Gibson to Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse Ltd, in whose possession it operates today.