Like several distilleries, Glen Moray was built on the site of an early nineteenth- century brewery, to take advantage of a reliable water source. The distillery was built by a local consortium, the Glen Moray-Glenlivet Distillery Company Ltd, in 1897, making use of the old West Brewery buildings and ‘being equipped with electric light throughout’. Like many it fell victim to the slump which took place at the start of the 20th century and closed in 1910, being snapped up in 1923 by Macdonald & Muir owner of Glenmorangie. Glen Moray single malt began to be released in 1976, but was only promoted from the early 1990s. Macdonald & Muir began their experiment with wood-finishing at Glen Moray–now familiar feature of the Glenmorangie portfolio.
Three wood- finished expressions were released in 1999: Chardonnay, and Chenin Blanc. In 2008, it was sold to French distilling firm La Martiniquaise, predominantly for fillings for its Label Five and Glen Turner brands. Capacity has since been increased by 40% with new washbacks and another pair of stills being installed.