The Dalwhinnie distillery sits at the heart of the majestic Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands. It is one of the highest Whisky producing distilleries in Scotland. The distillery itself was originally named Strathspey. It was built in 1897 by three men from the neighbouring town of Kingussie, but they soon ran into financial difficulties and sold up. The new owners changed the name to Dalwhinnie and employed Charles Doig to make improvements, then sold in 1905 to Cook & Bernheimer, the largest distillers in America at that time. In 1934, a fire destroyed the majority of the distillery and production had to be halted for four years while the site was being rebuilt. After the rebuild was completed in 1938, the distillery had to remain closed until 1940, due to wartime restrictions on barley.
Since 1940, the distillery has produced Whisky almost uninterrupted, save for a brief period in 1986 when the distillery underwent a complete refurbishment.
Today, Dalwhinnie is owned by Diageo and is part of its Classic Malts range. The brand has reached great critical acclaim, with the 15-year-old and the Distillers Edition being awarded the Monde Selection Gold Medals.