The Caperdonich distillery was a producer of Speyside single malt Scotch whisky that operated between 1898 and 1902, and then again between 1965 and 2002. Caperdonich whisky was a component of some blends of Chivas Regal. Caperdonich was the first of the ‘extension’ distilleries built next to the original plant when demand began to rise. Originally and prosaically known as Glen Grant No.2, it was constructed across the road from its big sister in 1898. Like the majority of the distilleries built in this period, it closed soon after its being established, in Caper’s case in 1902. Although its kiln, malting floors, and warehouses operated, the stills lay silent, a chill reminder of over-optimism.
It remained silent until 1965, when it was rebuilt by The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd, expanded in 1967 to four stills and renamed Caperdonich after the well which supplies its reducing water. In 1977 it was acquired by Seagram when they bought Glenlivet Distillers, and by Pernod Ricard when that company bought Seagram’s whisky interests in 2001. The following year Chivas Brothers, Pernod Ricard’s operating company, mothballed the distillery.