Bruichladdich has enjoyed a renaissance since 2000, when it was bought for £6.5 million by a private concern led by Mark Reynier, a wine merchant in London, with the support of local investors. During the previous decade the distillery had operated only part-time under the ownership of Whyte & Mackay, who had acquired it when they took over Invergordon Distillers in 1993. Bruichladdich was built in 1881 by the Harvey brothers, who owned the Dundashill and Yoker grain distilleries in Glasgow. Like all of the late Victorian plants, its fortunes were inextricably linked to blends from the outset.
In 1937, the eccentric Joseph Hobbs picked it up, but by 1954 it become part of DCL, which quickly offloaded it to AB Grant. Grant’s sold Bruichladdich to Invergordon Distillers and capacity was doubled to four stills. On 23 July 2012, it was announced that Rémy Cointreau reached an agreement with Bruichladdich to buy the distillery.