The Benromach Distillery Company was founded in 1898 by Duncan MacCallum and F.W.Brickmann, with the support of Alexander Edward, who rented them the site on the northern edge of his Sanquhar Estate, Forres. It was sold in 1911 to a London company, closed from 1914 to 1917, then acquired by Alloa brewer John Joseph Calder, who immediately sold it to Benromach Distillery Ltd.
Then there was a short production period from 1966 to 1983. After 11 years of silence – during which its interior had been cannibalised for parts by Diageo – it was bought by Elgin’s Gordon & MacPhail.
The firm then set about building what was effectively a new distillery in the shell of the old. It took the firm five years of trials before the first spirit was made.